WASHINGTON, DC, 2 March 2021 – The US State Department has urged Ethiopia and Cameroon to allow international investigations into allegations of atrocities.

In a phone call with Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali, U.S. Secretary of State called onEthiopia to allow an international investigation into alleged atrocities in the northern region of Tigray.

Source Hilltop Voices Bamenda

Source Hilltop Voices Bamenda

Humanitarian Crisis in Tigray - Photo GCC Updates Hindi

Humanitarian Crisis in Tigray – Photo GCC Updates Hindi

The State Department also called Tuesday for an investigation into a military raid of a village last year in which soldiers have been accused of raping at least 20 girls and women, four of them with disabilities.

Blinkencalled for an immediate end to hostilities and the withdrawal of outside forces from Ethiopia.s northern Tigray region.

Antony Blinken - Photo Manuel Balce Ceneta, AP

Antony Blinken – Photo Manuel Balce Ceneta, AP

America and the European Union have insisted that Eritrean forces have been fighting in Tigray alongside Ethiopian federal forces which were ordered into the region last November 4.

Over the weekend, Human Rights Watch released a report on the punitive acts of rape by Cameroonian soldiers in the village of Ebam.

Ethiopia has tried to fence off criticism by the United States to no avail, including last week when Addis Ababa insisted that the conflict in Tigray is an internal affair.

The European Union has also rejected the claim by Addis Ababa that the armed conflict in Tigray should be seen as an purely domestic affair.

Thousands of Tigrayans Massacred - Photo Axios

Thousands of Tigrayans Massacred – Photo Axios

Thousands of people have been killed in both Ethiopia’s Tigray and in the English-speaking Southern Cameroons where pro-independence campaigners declared a breakaway Republic of Ambazonia on 1st October 2017.

In one massacre in the holy city of Aksum in Tigray, as many as 800 people are said to have been slaughtered by Ethiopian and Eritrea soldiers.

In its most updated report on The Cameroons, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said the genocidal violence there has claimed 3,500 lives; far lower than over 13,000 lives that Southern Cameroonian campaigners say have been killed since the beginning of the war on 30th November 2017.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. This month, a reverting one on one interview with the Chairman on African Affairs at IMF

You have Successfully Subscribed!