NEW YORK, 12 February 2021 – Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused Ethiopian federal forces of indiscriminately targeting civilian targets in the country’s northern Tigray.
No fewer than 83 civilians, including children, were killed and more than 100 others were injured, according to the report.
Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is on record saying no civilians has been killed during the ongoing armed conflict in Tigray which began last November 4.
Schools, markets, hospitals and homes were targeting when artillery was fired indiscriminately into towns in Tigray, HRW alleged in the report.
The New York-based rights group called on Addis Ababa to investigate and prosecute those responsible for the violations of the Law of War.
The indiscriminate shelling targeted urban centers with no military facilities and no fighters, the reports said.
Addis Ababa has previously said its forces deployed to Tigray acted professionally, but had not reacted to the accusations by HRW.
The fighting in Tigray began after the federal government in Addis Ababa accused fighters of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) of attacking an army base and stealing weapons.