GENEVA, 15 November 2020 – .The head of U.N. human rights body, Michelle Bachelet, called Saturday for an inquiry into reports that hundreds of people had been slain.

The killings occurred Monday and the London-based human rights group, Amnesty International, was first to bring international attention to them.

Bachelet said she was “alarmed” by the fighting and called on parties to the conflict to prioritize ending the violence to avoid further atrocities.

According to the reports, many of the victims were reportedly stabbed or hacked to death.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has blamed the mass slaughter on Tigray leaders and their fighters.

The Tigray leader, Debretsion Gebremichael, has called the accusation “baseless”.

Fighting broke out last November 4 between the federal government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and the regional government of Debretsion Gebremichael.

On Friday, Ethiopia’s Foreign Minister Demeke Mekonnen said the military operation in Tigray was going as planned, adding that he expected it to be over “in a very short period of time”.

He added that dialogue would be possible only afer order is restored and “criminals caught”.

A lot of the information on the conflict has not been independently verified given restricted access to the battlefields and affected communities.

Over 20,000 residents of Tigray have fled the fighting into neighboring Sudan.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. This month, a reverting one on one interview with the Chairman on African Affairs at IMF

You have Successfully Subscribed!