CONAKRY, 2 November 2020 – Guinea’s main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, has been freed from house arrest.

Security forces withdrew after days of maintaining a blockade outside his residence in the outskirts of the capital, Conakry.

The blockade was put in place after Diallo declared himself winner of Guinea’s last presidential election.

Soon after being the blockade was lifted, the opposition leader lodged an appeal at the country’s constitutional court calling on it to overturn the results of last month’s presidential election.

Alpha Conde, 82, won the provisional results which clears the way for him to serve a controversial third term.

Ever since Mr. Conde said he was running, more than a dozen people have been killed by police and security forces during peaceful protests calling a third term illegal.

The announcement led to street celebrations by his supporters, a heavy handed response by armed and security forces, leading ot the shooting dead and injury of many people.

On Monday, a high-level delegation of officials from the African Union, the European Union, the United Nations and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) urged the Guinean government of Alpha Conde to lift the blockade of his home.

Jean-Claude Kassi Brou of ECOWAS who was part of the mission said the visit was part of the organization’s “preventive diplomacy”.

The Guinean electoral commission has not yet announced the final results of the October 18, 2020 presidential ballot.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. This month, a reverting one on one interview with the Chairman on African Affairs at IMF

You have Successfully Subscribed!