TRIPOLI, 22 February 2021 – Libyan Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha on Monday said he escaped an assassination attempt on Sunday, February 21, 2021.
Bashagha said his convoy was fired on by armed individuals inside an armed vehicle which attacked his motorcade as he was headed to his home in the Janzur neighborhood of the Libyan capital, Tripoli.
“It was not an incident that came by chance, but was well-planned,” Bashagha said in a televised statement.
The unidentified gunmen, onbe of whom was killed in the attack, fired on the convoy with machine guns from a pickup truck.
Bashagha previously served from 2018 as interior minister in the United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA).
The 58-year-old is a political heavyweight, who has promised to end corruption in the country.
He had been seen as a favorite to lead the interim government established as part of follow-up following the signing last October of a one-year ceasefire.
The position of head of interim government went to businessman Abdul Hamid Dbeibah.
The 61-year-old engineer has called for reconstruction, democracy and reunification in Libya and will hold the position until United Nations-supervised elections are held in December 2021.