BAMAKO, 3 January 2021 – Judicial authorities in Mali say a search is underway for former Prime Minister Boubou Cisse accused of “conspiring and infringing on state security”.
Boubou Cisse was prime minister of the government of ex-President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita before he was ousted in a military coup in August 2020.
Arrest warrants were issued Thursday by an investigative judge in the capital, Bamako, for Boubou Cisse and other officials.
Cisse was arrested with Keita during the coup but was later released.
Malian officials said Cisse has gone into hiding while five of those accused with him have been arrested and put in pre-trial detention.
The officials arrested are Mahamadou Moni, the general administrator of the Treasury, Vital Robert Diop, Director General of Small and Medium Enterprises, Sulayman Kansai, a general recipient of the Bamako region, and Mumamad Yusef Bathili, known as “Ras Bath”, a writer and journalist.
The Secretary-General of the Malian Presidency Seko Traore also faces persecution.
In a press statement, the Bamako Public Prosecution Office said the former prime minister and six other officials faces several charges.
They include “conspiracy against the government”, “forming a gang of villains” and “insulting the person of the financial head of state and collusion”.
The Malian judiciary has said Cisse has southt to harm “the internal security of the state” in what it describes as a “criminal plot” and “acts of sabotage” aimed at frustrating initiatives by the transitional authorities that currently govern Mali.
Last week, Boubou Cisse denied all the charges against him and said he was not in any way connected to a plot to destabilize Mali.