JUBA, 17 March 2021 – Nearly 2,000 officials seeking hefty payments promised when they were relieved of their duties in February 2020 are asking President Salva Kiir to honor his word.
The former officials say they were promised lay-off or send-off packages that remain pending.
The 1,816 former officials demand payment of $60,000 for each governor and $40,000 for every state advisor, minister and commissioner.
President Kiir relieved all 32 governors, their advisors and commissioners after disbanding the states last year.
Delegates representing the former officials from the defunct 32 states and administrative areas staged a protest walk to the State House, J1, but were prevented from meeting with President Kiir to inquire from him why their dues have not been paid.
“We went to the office of the president to try to meet him, but we were stopped at the gate by the security personnel,” said Peter Gatkuoth, the former advisor for peace and reconciliation in the defunct Southern Liech.
The press secretary in the Office of the President, Ateny Wek Ateny, told reporters Friday that the matter is not being handled at the State House, but in the ministry of finance.
“The decision has already been made. President Kiir promised them to be paid post-service allowances,” Wek told Eye Radio.
The finance ministry has not commented on the matter.
The former officials are threatening nationwide street protests unless the matter is addressed urgently.
“Come Tuesday, which is 16 March, we will go to the streets…all over the country,” the former commissioner for Maiwut County Tut Rom warned Friday.